Surakarta, also known as Solo, is hosting ASEAN Blogger Festival 2013, on 10th – 12th May 2013. The election of the Central Java city as ABFI2013 venue, according to the organizer, “is to introduce the presence of heritage sites in this city as the beginning of ASEAN cultural heritage linkage connecting dot”. This is also in line with the “Visit Jawa Tengah 2013” programme that promotes Surakarta city as an ideal location of MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions).
ASEAN stands for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, a geopolitical and economic grouping for 10 countries in Southeast Asia. The 10 members are: Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam
To help you to understand the ‘picture, of this big event, the following are the event’s details –taken from the event’s website:
Tentative Programme and Activities
- Seminar on ASEAN Cultural Heritage Linkage and ASEAN Tourism.
- Exchange of views on Social Media Development in ASEAN Countries.
- Discussion on the role of social media in ASEAN integration process.
- Discussion on ASEAN Blogger Community Plan of Action
- Workshop on Photo and Video Blogging, Online Business, and Online Advocacy
- Heritage site visit, Exhibition, Cultural Performance, and Competitions, food festival, etc
- 15 experts and resource persons
- 15 social media top notch practitioners in Southeast Asia
- 50 Blogger representatives from 10 ASEAN countries
- 50 Blogger representatives from local blogger communities outside Java
- 100 Blogger representatives from local communities in Java island
As one of bloggers, it’s happy to know that blogger is one of important elements toward ASEAN Community 2015.
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) is the next step of economic integration transforming ASEAN into a single market and production base by 2015. The economic integration goals will include the elimination of tariffs, free professional movement, capital and a faster customs clearance procedure. Free Trade Area (FTAs) will be a key strategy for ASEAN to gain greater market access into trading partners and to attract foreign direct investments to ASEAN. AEC will increase regional economic prosperity and stability and reduce the development gaps among members.
I was also invited as one of speakers to this event on The Role of Social Media in the ASEAN Socio-Culture Community Building and discussed about the ASEAN citizen behavior on social media (thanks @bagusgowes for the YouTube video!]. Basically, I explained to the audience, by understanding ASEAN citizen behavior in social media –I picked Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube as samples based on Zocial.inc recent study– brands could get the real picture in order to deliver the right campaign and to reach targeted users and audience from this region.
For all my fellow bloggers from all over Indonesia and ASEAN countries, enjoy the event, gathering and the beautiful city!